There’s always a party happening somewhere in the world. No need to stick to the local pub or club for a good night out, why not try one of these destinations for some fun on the beach, a boat, clubs or the great outdoors?
Wherever you decide to have a good time, please do remember to keep safe and drink responsibly.
Koh Phangan, Thailand: Full Moon party
Haad Rin, Koh Phangan’s nightlife capital, is home to the famous Full Moon Party. The dates for the event are adjusted around Buddhist holidays (check dates here) and people from all over the world gather in their tens of thousands to take part in this party which peaks at sunrise. This all night outdoor extravaganza offers dancing on the white sandy beaches, or if you prefer, check out one of the many clubs surrounding the area. Although generally good-natured, like any party destination with copious amounts of revelers in one place, there are things to be aware of. Greg Rodgers has some great tips on staying safe at the party; he recommends that you do not take anything to the party you wish to return home with (money, camera, sunglasses), stay out of the water and keep an eye on your drinks.
Where to Stay
- The Coast Resort, 117/21 Rin Nai Beach, Moo 6, Bantai, Koh Phangan. This resort has received favourable reviews on several websites for its facilities and location on Sunset Beach (Haad Rin Nai), a 10 minute walk from the Full Moon Party location of Sunrise Beach (Haad Rin Nok). Minimum 4 night stay during Full Moon season and rates during this time are for 2 people in a double room starting at around €90 per night, for 4 people in a 2 bedroom villa starting from around €260 per night.
- The Sanctuary, Had Tien Bay, Koh Phangan. A short taxi boat ride will get you to the Full Moon Party, after which you can return to this beach resort offering yoga, wellness cleansing, spa, workshops, classes and natural healing therapies. “This is the only place that never fell short and I have always wanted to go back to.” says Craig from New Zealand, who has been all over the world. Book a house or cottage in advance for a minimum 3 night stay, 2 people in a double room starting from around €60 per night. Take your chances and arrive on the day for Bungalow accommodation (around €30 per night) or a dorm bed (around €8 per night).
- Fly: Lufthansa direct from Frankfurt Germany to Bangkok. Bangkok Airways can get you from Bangkok to Koh Samui
- Car/Ferry: a 10 minute taxi drive from Samui airport will get you to Big Buddha Pier where you can take a one hour ferry ride to the island.
- Please check with your accommodation when booking for the best way to reach it once on the island.
Ibiza, Spain: Club and Hotel Events
This small Mediterranean island will have you partying from midnight ‘til noon with clubs and hotel events aplenty, but once you’ve taken in the night life you can easily spend the rest of the day relaxing on one of around 50 beaches that surround the island. Why not head out with your friends to a DJ set at Ushuaia, “The most picturesque stunning luxury hotel venue…with infinity pools, its own private beach…and an atmosphere that was electric and unforgettable…” says Vicky, from the UK. Then take Vicky’s lead and spend the days lounging around the cocktail bar or visiting some of those gorgeous beaches. Check out parties and DJs in Ibiza for 2016 here.
Where to Stay
- Ibiza Rocks, San Antonio. Offering a range of accommodation for all budgets, staying at the Hostal or Apartments will still grant you access to the live events taking place on the main stage at the Hotel. Check out their special offers for room/event ticket combos.catering).
- Ses Feises, Ibiza Town. This 3 bedroom apartment is nestled in a quiet, secure location and offers a large balcony and swimming pool. 2 minutes from nightclub Pacha, a 10 minute walk to the beach and a 15 minute walk to restaurants and shops. For up to 8 people starting from: €999 per week, or €149 per night, minimum 3 nights (rates vary depending on season).
- Fly: Ryanair fly direct from Frankfurt Hahn.
- Check with your accommodation for airport shuttle transfers.
London, England: River Boat Parties and Clubs
Take a large dance floor, two fully stocked bars and a resident DJ, throw in a boat and you’ve got yourself a 4 hour party cruise along the River Thames. London Party Boats offer regular Friday and Saturday night party cruises departing from Westminster Pier which include free entrance into Opal Night Club at Embankment. Of course, if a cruise is not your scene, or you’re just not ready for your night to end after the Thames, then London has plenty more to offer for a good night out; Ministry of Sound and Fabric are just some of the world-famous clubs you’ll find here.
Where to Stay
- Citizen M Hotel, 20 Lavington Street, London SE1 0NZ. This stylish contemporary hotel is within walking distance of public transport and 15 minutes on the Underground from Jubilee to Westminster. Ministry of Sound is a 15 minute walk. Rooms start from around €140 per night.
- 69 The Grove B&B, 69 Vauxhall Grove, London SW8 1TA. This B&B has Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence for 2013 and is only a 20 minute bus ride to the Pier, as well as a 10-15 minute ride on the Underground to some clubs. For 2 people in a double room prices start from around €145 including breakfast.
- Fly: you can fly direct from Luxembourg with: British Airways to London Heathrow; Easyjet to London Gatwick.
- The London Underground is often the easiest way to get about London. Try this interactive map to help plan your journey.
- Additionally, when booking your accommodation ask for advice on using public transport to get to where you are staying if you want to save some money. If you’re short on time, look in to taking a taxi.
California, USA: Music and Art Festival
If you’re looking to get away for a long weekend of music, dancing, celebrity spotting, art, activities, food and an impressive line-up of live music that the whole family can attend then this could be your festival. Established in 1999, Coachella has been steadily growing in popularity each year. Run over two weekends in April the event features a variety of music genres including alternative rock, hip hop, and electronic, spread over many different stages. Set in the city of Indio, which is part of the Colorado Desert, you can immerse yourself completely in festival life by camping on-site (near-by off-site camping is also available) and all ages are welcome. The line-up of musical acts for 2016 includes Courtney Barnett, Ellie Goulding, Guns n’ Roses, Ice Cube, Of Monsters and Men and so many more! General Admission starts at US$399 (approx. €350) and allows entrance into the venue and day parking for all 3 days of the festival. Due to the popularity of this event tickets sell out extremely fast – keep up to date with their website and try your luck for 2017.
Where to Stay
- Camp on-site for around €90 for the weekend.
- Camp at Lake Eldorado in a 2 person tepee for around €2200 (includes General Admission tickets).
- Camp off-site at a range of locations at varying prices.
- Fly: United Airlines fly direct from Frankfurt to Los Angeles.
- Drive: hire a car at the airport and drive the 2 hours to Indio.
Bairro Alto, Portugal: Clubs and Bars
In this picturesque working class quarter dating from the 16th century you can expect to begin the night with a long dinner before partaking in some bar hopping and then, around 2am, when the clubs really get going you can party until dawn. A friend of mine touts Bairro Alto as “a very funky and diverse area where you can just walk around and pick the buzziest bar” to grab some drinks before going clubbing. She recommends one of Lisbon’s hippest and most fashionable clubs, Lux, which is partly owned by actor John Malkovich. Brave the long queues at weekends to enjoy the diversity of the upstairs dance floor and the more relaxed down stairs area and watch the sunrise on the roof top terrace. With plenty of nightlife, you’re sure to find something that will have you partying ‘til you drop.
Where to Stay
- The Independente Hostel and Suites 238 Lisbon. Set on the border of Bairro Alto, this art deco hostel overlooking São Pedro de Alcântara and Tagus River offers modern dormitory rooms from around €12 per night, or private suites from around €110 per night, including breakfast.
- Lisbon Rentals Chiado, Chiado, Lisbon. These modern and spacious apartments are based in several locations throughout the Chiado district which is located between the neighbourhoods of Bairro Alto and Baixa Pombalina. Prices start from €110 per night for 2 people sharing.
- Fly: you can fly direct from Luxembourg to Lisbon with Luxair or TAP, or fly direct from Frankfurt Hahn to Lisbon with Ryanair.
- Check when booking your accommodation for airport shuttle transfers.