Yes, winter in Luxembourg feels long but it doesn’t have to be horrible – honest! We at City Savvy have a few top tips to make all well.
Tips to help you enjoy Luxembourg during winter
- Light candles – lots of them; after all Jo Malone has finally arrived on Rue Philippe II so you no longer have to travel to London for such luxuries. If you are a Yank at heart, there is always Yankee Candle also in the city centre. Invest in your favourite scent; there’s nothing like lime basil or pomegranate noir to pep you up.
- Buy comfy winter accessories that will make you feel cosy at home: a luxurious duvet, a cashmere blanket or snuggly slippers. Check out these pretty home stores for inspiration.
- Challenge the darkness with bright colours: a red coat, a yellow hat, a sparkly brooch, a multicoloured scarf or a colourful bag… then await the Luxembourgers’ reactions. It’s not BLACK?!
- Take a walk around a wintery Luxembourg forest; just make sure you aren’t washed away by the sudden flurry of the Moselle breaking its banks! A safe option is a stride in style around the Ville Haute (Old Town) and take in the gorgeous view by the Golden Lady or potter around one of the many museums. There are so many beautiful sights to see!
- Explore some of the cosy cafés in Luxembourg. Drink a luxurious hot chocolate and have a huge slab of cake at the Chocolate House , whilst admiring the beautiful Grand Ducal Palace.
- Keep your blinds up and put lights in your windows – this isn’t for you, it’s for all the people who walk past. Feel the joy of sharing that spark of light with those who live around you.
- Plan to do things to take your mind off the darkness: get together with friends and celebrate that every day is getting longer and lighter.
- Plan and book a sunny foreign holiday to take while it’s winter here. That’s what the Luxembourgers do and you’ll be surprised how many direct flights there are to sunnier destinations.
- Invite your friends over for a winter inspired dinner; try venison and feel like a real Luxembourger. Don’t know how to cook venison? Contact Maison Steffen and they will do it for you. You just have to pick it up and heat it up.
- Don’t shave! Men: it’ll keep your faces warmer. Women: who’s going to see anyway?
- Bake. There’s nothing like the smell of baking to make a home feel warm, cosy and welcoming. Gingerbread, anyone?
- Binge watch a Netflix series that everyone was talking about over the holidays and you hadn’t heard of it because because you were outside all the time this summer, while the sunshine lasted.
- Try a new winter hobby: like indoor ice skating at the rink in Kockelscheuer, or borrow a sled when it finally decides to snow and go to the big hill in the Petrusse Valley just below the Old Town. Let your inner child loose; no one will think less of you. We all do it. And don’t forget the ski-pants (we’re serious!)
- Use the long evenings to learn or practise a new skill. Didn’t you always want to know how to crochet/learn Zumba/speak Luxembourgish?
- Explore indoor cultural activities: museums, concerts, exhibitions… check out our Discover Luxembourg articles for the low-down.
- If the cold is getting to you, visit places where you can pretend you are somewhere warmer. Luxembourg has many lovely indoor swimming pools and saunas.
- Enjoy the lights; the advantage of long nights is that you get plenty of opportunities to appreciate how lovely the lights of the city are at night.
- Or… if all else fails… hibernate. Spring WILL come. It’ll be… April again before you know it.